Monday, November 8, 2010

Check Up

Today one of our playgroups visited a little "ranch" that touted a petting zoo, pony ride, and a balloon for $5. Taylor is a horse fanatic, and every time we drive down the street near our house where there is a stable advertising riding lessons complete with horses grazing in the front, she begs to ride a horse. In fact, she eats her vegetables and fruit religiously so she can "grow strong and big and ride on horsies". Based on all of this, I figured this would be perfect. Well, she did get to ride a pony. They both did. In a circle. Very slowly. About 4 times around. They were also presented with a dixie cup of goat pellets when we got there, so they fed the goats and held some rabbits. It was weird. But, Taylor loved it. The little boy in front of her had his mother walking the circle with him, holding on to him. Right up front Taylor made it clear she did not want me to go with her. I wish I could show you the look on her face. She was thrilled.

Yesterday we celebrated Maddie's 2nd birthday with a small party. Yesterday was also the 3rd anniversary of my Dad's death. It was a fun time on a rotten day. I was so busy cleaning and shopping (yes, I wait until the day of the party to do all this) that I didn't have much time for sadness and reflection. Which is good, I guess, but with the relief comes a little bit of guilt that I didn't. I'm making up for it today, though, because my Dad has been in the forefront of my thoughts most of the day. I miss him. He would really enjoy Maddie, she is so smart and sassy. When Brittany was this age, they were inseparable. He was such a good grandpa, and I hate that my Maddie and Taylor will not ever know him.

Potty training is moving ahead full force, despite Maddie still being 4 days shy of 2 years old. The good--she is recognizing the urge to go and successfully using her little toilet. Yay for fewer diapers! The bad--she heads into the bathroom on her own, shedding her diaper somewhere along the way, and before I've had the chance to even notice she is in the bathroom, she is carrying the pink plastic bowl, shouting and sloshing pee on the carpet (the bowl is shaped like the mouth of the frog, complete with tongue..a little weird).
**I'm just kidding about the pee on the carpet, there's not enough in there to actually go over the edge. But there is definate sloshing and there have been several close calls.

Everything else is going along just swimmingly. We are looking forward to a visit from Corey's mother in December. I am loving the fact that the weather is cooler, and getting excited that the holidays are approaching. My favorite time of the year. You all lucked out, because as I am still without a computer of my own, you have been spared a picture of the first ever poop in the little potty. Bah I'm just kidding. Did you really think I would take a picture of that? I could barely stand to look at it.

1 comment: