Tuesday, November 17, 2009

So this is weird...

I have sent out resumes for at least 15 positions. No response. On any of them. In the past, I have had no trouble whatsoever trying to land a job. My experience is varied, my skills are sharp, and I hate to toot my own horn, but I give a kick a** interview. I wonder if employers are not digging the empty space on my resume for the past 1 1/2 years that I have been home? Because I have 2 other intervals of time where I have also stayed home with two of my other children. Do I seem irresponsible? Or noncommitted? Flighty, maybe? I mean, because of my extended maternity leaves, spaced only a couple of years apart, I do not have long work histories with any of the companies I have been employed with. One thing is different this time though, I have shied away from the customer service positions that I used to jump on. We have only one vehicle that can accomodate two carseats, plus I'm not desperate to find a job, so I can't/won't apply for those types of positions that usually have odd hours. Or, maybe my uncertainty and indecision is coming across somehow. I vacillate between wanting to work and, well, not wanting to work yet. I'd say that I need to, for financial reasons, but when I pull out my trusty calculator, with two young children in daycare (plus gas, clothes, etc etc), we are not really coming out ahead.
Hmmm...what a conundrum.

No comments:

Post a Comment